Satisfy an overwhelming craving for my amazing classic chocolate chip cookie recipe WITHOUT the use of flour or sugar.
To be honest, I was reluctant to even try The Bite Sized Baker’s Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe when I first discovered it. In her post she claims that “these cookies are sure to make any chocolate chip cookie lover obsessed” and, see, I’m an obsessive chocolate chip cookie lover who still doubts that any lower-calorie, lower-fat substitutions could ever compare to the indulgent desserts of my past.
I was wrong here. These cookies may not be identical to my traditional cookie recipe but they are absolutely, totally delicious and worthy of my newest obsession. My new sugar-free lifestyle just became a little more enjoyable.
- 2 cups almond meal/flour
- ½ tsp flaked sea salt + a few dashes to sprinkle on baked cookies
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 egg, room temp
- ¼ coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp agave syrup (or other natural sweetener of choice such as honey or maple syrup)
- A heaping handful of sugar-free chocolate chips (regular if that's all you have or really dark chocolate cut into chunks or cacao nibs)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and throw down some parchment paper on a large cookie sheet.
- In your mixing bowl, blend almond meal, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together melted coconut oil (it's liquid BUT NOT HOT), egg, vanilla and sweetener.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and blend until batter is evenly mixed through. Toss in the chocolate chips and stir with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Place the batter in the fridge for about 10 minutes so it’ll be easier to manage into batter balls.
- Remove from fridge and roll 1.5” diameter balls in the palms of your hands. Space each at least 3” apart on the baking tray. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. As soon as you pull them out of the oven, sprinkle a little sea salt on top for bonus flavour. Allow to cool completely before digging in.
- Almond meal is literally ground almonds so these cookies do have more of a nutty flavour and texture than the traditional crumb of a flour-based cookie. Personally, I'm digging this route to treat town -- especially when it comes with far less calorie and carb guilt.
Challenge completed. I think it’s safe to say we nailed it!
WARNING: Just because these babies aren’t loaded with artificial sugar doesn’t mean little cookie thieves won’t be standing by, waiting for their opportunity to strike.
What I’m Drinking:
With a little help from a post-dinner mug of Earl Grey, these cookies are bringing a much needed dose of inner-calm.
What I’m Listening To:
Patrick Watson’s new album “Love Songs For Robots” does so well to lock down that inner-calm. In my opinion, this is one of Canada’s greatest modern musical treasures. I’m so excited to be bringing the girls to his concert at the CBC Music Festival this weekend. You know, I should probably bake some more cookies to bring along with us.Add to favorites