With at least 3 unique banana bread approaches on hotpinkapron.com, it should be no surprise that it’s considered a household staple. With brown bananas in hand, I stepped into the kitchen to whip up yet another loaf and a can of Pure Pumpkin Puree caught me eye. Hmmmm.. could I combine the soul-satisfying flavour of pumpkin pie with my favourite whole wheat banana bread recipe? After about 3 attempts, the answer is yes.
This bread is moist and dense, offering a subtle pumpkin undertone. Like that first bite of pumpkin pie after a Thanksgiving feast, it’s comforting and delicious; ideal for breakfast, snack or topped with a dollop of whipped cream for dessert.
Edie’s 4 year old friend came by earlier today and gave me an “Omi Gosh! This is SO good”. Those are the unsolicited pre-schooler reactions that make these experiments so worthwhile. 😉
Pumpkin Pie Banana Loaf
Makes: 1x 5″x9″ loaf
Prep time: about 10 minutes Cooking time: about 70 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinamon
- 2 tsp pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 large, farm-fresh eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp sour milk (milk with a dash of vinegar)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° f. Grease your loaf pan well using butter or a non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt). Use a whisk to fully blend together.
- In your stand mixer’s bowl (or another large bowl if using a hand mixer), mash bananas and blend in pumpkin puree. On low speed, add sugars, maple syrup, eggs (one at a time) and vanilla; mix well.
- Continuing on a low speed, add dry ingredients and sour milk, blend until just incorporated. It’s important not to over mix to ensure a lighter loaf. Fold in walnuts if using.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and place in the center of your preheated oven. Bake for 70 minutes or until your cake tester comes out clean.
- Let your loaf cool to room temperature before cutting into. For the ultimate fall experience serve with homemade Apple Butter. Mmmmmm.. Enjoy! xo