I have been a very busy food blogger on this rainy November day. Baking, writing and capturing my final submission for the California Walnuts Food Blogger Challenge, preparing 3 types of holiday cookies, a batch of eggnog fudge and a loaf of bread. With creativity continuing to flow, I decided to experiment with some ripe avocados and a can of Moosehead Lager for dinner. The outcome was this phenomenal solution to using those soon-to-be-overly-ripe avocados as well as satisfying the meat-loving husband with another vegan dish.
The crunchy, deep-fried crust is a perfect pairing to the naturally creamy texture of the avocado. Serve these on their own with a salsa or Ranch dressing, layered in a kaiser bun or, do as we did, and wrap them in a whole wheat tortilla with lettuce, tomato, jalepenos, a spritz of fresh lime and your favourite hot sauce. Tres yum!
Whole Wheat Beer Battered Avocado
- 1 cup lager beer or ale
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 2 large avocados
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Salt, as needed
- Whisk together beer, flour, paprika, and garlic until well blended. Let stand for at least an hour. Peel avocados, remove pit; cut each into 6 wedges.
- Add the vegetable oil to a medium-sized skillet, enough to create a 1-inch deep pool of oil. Heat at a medium-low heat for about 4 minutes before adding avocado.
- Dredge wedges in beer batter. Add each to the hot oil and deep fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Serve while still hot/warm.
Enjoy! I certainly did. xoAdd to favorites