I had a craving for ‘the South’ today. It could of been waking to The Black Keys new single ‘Lonely Boy‘ for the 3rd straight day but I started my day with an overwhelming urge to bake some flaky buttermilk biscuits and smother them in a white gravy. The simple words do the dish no justice, even the look of the traditional biscuits n’ gravy is pretty gross but if you’ve ever enjoyed the real deal in the setting of the deep South, than anything even remotely close is delicious and warming to the soul.
This is an exceptionally easy recipe to master and a great way to add biscuits to the dinner table or use up those apple butters and homemade jams we’ve been working on. The most important thing to remember is to not over work the dough. Knead it on the floured surface just once or twice, roll out and cut. If you over work the dough, the final outcome with be too dense and crunchy. Done well, these biscuits are light and flaky, perfect for those days you find yourself craving a little of that southern charm.
Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
Courtesy of The Carolinas
Makes about 12 biscuits
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the board
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening by spoonfuls, one at a time, until it resembles course meal.
- Blend in buttermilk and mix JUST until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board, but do not over handle. (The secret to light, fluffy biscuits is a light hand in mixing and rolling the dough.)
- Gently roll the dough out to a 1 inch thickness.
- Use a round cutter to cut into rounds. You can gently knead the scraps together and make a few more, but they won’t be quite as good as the first ones.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes – the biscuits will be a beautiful light golden brown on top and bottom.
- Throw on some Elvis, Dr. John, The Black Keys or even Lynyrd Skynard to get you in the mood while they bake 😉
We ended our chicken, biscuits and gravy feast with Sweet Potato Cupcakes, topped with Marshmallow Frosting. My craving for a trip south has been satisfied… for at least another day. Tomorrow morning, I jog!