Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb Donuts / F@#k Cancer Karaoke Party
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 Tbsp. kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 12 cups canola oil, for deep-frying
- 20 candied cherries
- In a bowl, whisk ricotta, eggs, and kirsch. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold flour mixture into ricotta mixture to form a batter.In a separate bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in an 8-quart heavy-bottomed soup pot (the pot should not be more than 1/3 full) over medium heat until it reaches 350° on a deep-fat thermometer.Divide batter into 2 batches. Take a spoonful of batter (about 2 teaspoons), stuff a cherry in its center / wrap about a tablespoon f dough around the cherry, and drop it into hot oil; repeat for the rest of first batch. Fry until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove doughnuts from oil with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Repeat process for second batch.
- When doughnuts are cool enough to handle yet still hot, roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture until well coated.
I love to host a great party, which is good since it’s kind of my career these days. The last few weeks have had me working day and night to prepare for some calm recovery time following tomorrow’s thyroidectomy surgery. Between not thinking about the concerns of surgery and not over-thinking the stresses of work, I needed a distraction, preferably something involving great food, good wine, and laughs with friends. A karaoke-styled wine and cheese bash with the world’s greatest neighbours and friends felt like the ideal distraction.
The best way to say farewell to your voice before throat surgery? With friends and Billy Idol.