Bacon and Maple Syrup Cupcake with Maple Icing
Vanilla Garlic offered the inspiration and original recipe of this Bacon Maple Syrup Cupcake recipe. I’ve quickly become a big fan of the VG blog: it offers a great voice, excellent recipes and seems to share my appreciation for experimentation – especially with the pork strands. Check it out.
This recipe is great: super simple and makes the perfect dinner party amount of 6 cupcakes. The cake has a large crumb, with an almost bread-like quality. The bacon chunks offer texture and a slight saltiness but you won’t be overwhelmed by a bacon flavour. In my opinion, the maple syrup icing is the star of this feature. I’ll be topping many future cakes in my kitchen with this icing but paired with this bacon maple cupcake it ties it all together perfectly. Be assured this is a conversation starting cupcake but even the most skeptical (carnivorous) dinner guest will enjoy it.
Maple Bacon Cupcakes
Makes about 7 large cupcakes (6 for dinner, 1 to taste test beforehand). Original recipe from Vanilla Garlic.
- 4 1/2 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tablespoon of bacon drippings (cooled to be solid)
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup of flour (all-purpose works, self rising is recommended)
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- tiny tiny pinch of kosher salt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of minced bacon, cooked and drained
- Cook some bacon in a fry pan (about 6 thick strips). Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify. Mince 1/4 cup of the bacon. The chef should eat whatever is left to assure that the bacon is tasty.
- Blend the butter and solidified bacon fat until light and creamy. Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
- Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
- Add some of the flour and mix, then some of the milk, then continue to alternate the dry and wet ingredients, ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in the bacon.
- Scoop into cupcake papers, 3/4 full. Bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Be sure to rotate the pan after the first 15 minutes for even baking.
Maple Syrup Frosting
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Combine the syrup and butter until combined. Add the sugar, a bit at a time, and whip at high speeds until combined. Pipe or spread onto cupcakes. Sprinkle chopped walnuts and a few drips of extra maple syrup on top.
Vanilla Garlic recommends sprinkling sea salt and turbinado sugar for decoration and added flavor. Just another reason to make these again – as if I need another reason!
One last note: Support your local farmers! Use good quality farmers cut bacon in this recipe, it deserves the best.Add to favorites